Saturday, November 23, 2013

She Has Our Hearts

On Friday, October 4, 2013, I was making final preparations for Ian and Aidan's Popsicle Party.  Usually I'm at the community college teaching on Fridays, but that day was fall break so I was home.  My dear friend, Heather, and her baby girl, Margaret Ann, were helping me out that morning as I needed to finish the popsicle sign, party favors and tablecloth.


My parents had called and wanted to pick Aidan up from preschool as they usually do on Fridays when I'm teaching.  They took him out for lunch - Aidan's choice - McDonalds, of course. 

Heather, Margaret Ann and I had just been upstairs looking at the guest room and talking about how the room might be arranged as Emma's room some day.  Heather and I were discussing how I'd been so anxious over the past few weeks - I knew we were about to meet our daughter - my heart just knew. 

My parents arrived home with Aidan.  Heather, Margaret Ann, Aidan, my mom and I were all standing in the foyer watching Aidan play with and admire Margaret Ann.

There was a perfect storm brewing.  In just a moment - with chaos in the background - everything changed.

At 12:33pm, our home phone rang.

 
 
With caller ID, I knew who was calling, but I had no idea the reason.  I answered the phone, and I heard the sweet voice of our international social worker.   "We have a referral we'd like you to review.  Can I tell you a little about her?  She's 19 months old, she lives in blah-blah province, at so-and-so orphanage, she's just been made available for adoption, her special need is 'growth delay' - she's tiny and adorable." 
 
The next 11 minutes felt like an eternity until the email arrived with all the documents and a couple photos.  To look into the face of a child and know she was the daughter God intended for our family - every moment of waiting, all the months, every heartbreak - it's all worth it.  What a difference a day makes.    


Seven weeks ago, we were introduced (on paper) to our daughter.  Her name is Emma.

 
 
As I read through the documents, I found this statement, "She is a quiet little girl, has oval face, bright eyes, and cherry lips, so pretty."  And we couldn't agree more - our gorgeous daughter.
 
We recently received some updated photos from late October when a medical mission team visited her orphanage.
 

 
We have received PA (pre-approval) from China.  We are currently in the LOA (letter of acceptance) wait which could be 1-3 months.  At this point, we hope to travel in March/April.

We are thrilled to finally be able to share this news with our family and friends.

When I was reading back through the blog post I made on October 3rd, I had no idea what the next day held for us and our adoption journey.  We will celebrate Emma's referral day for many years.  One day can change everything - October 4, 2013.

Emma may not have our eyes or smile but from the very first moment she had our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. Shannon, this was beautiful!! Emma is a very blessed girl to be coming to your family. I know you all will spoil her rotten, and most importantly point her to Christ. She is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shannon - I had no idea but I'm so thrilled and happy for you, Brian, and the boys. I'll send lots of love and warmth to you and the family :)

    ReplyDelete